One of the most enjoyable recipes in Together: Our Community Cookbook is a creamy chicken and mushroom soup submitted by Amaal abd Elrasoul, who came to London to help her sister-in-law after the Grenfell Tower fire. She credits the recipe to a neighbor in Cairo. In her own words:
It is very special – shredded chicken in a creamy base scented with cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger… I guarantee you haven’t had chicken soup like this before.
Indeed I haven’t (or hadn’t until a few days ago). At first glance this doesn’t look much different than a creamy starter soup you might find at a diner or a pub, with generous shreds of chicken and oodles of mushrooms. Your other senses will tell you otherwise – the fragrant warming spices belie its North African influences. This soup smells like heaven.
When I cook this at home I use my Instant Pot, though this will work just as well in a large stock pot or Dutch Oven. The Instant Pot gives me some flexibility cooking the chicken. Depending on what my day looks like, I can either start the chicken early and slow cook it or reduce the cooking time with the pressure cook option. I feel like the slow cooking option improves both the depth of flavor and the texture of the chicken, but the soup is remarkable either way.
This soup is hearty enough for a weeknight meal, served with warm pita bread and a salad. I don’t have a good pita bread recipe in my wheelhouse, so I’ll usually serve this with Airy Light Casserole Bread, substituting cumin seeds for the dill seeds. It would also be perfectly suitable as a starter soup for a larger ‘Mediterranean’ meal.
Together: Our Community Cookbook is still in print and, as of this writing, the Hubb Community Kitchen is still operating. You may purchase a copy from Amazon here: https://amzn.to/3hrvkVL
- 1 cup unsalted butter (divided)
- 3-4 sweet onions (coarsely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 10 cardamom pods (lightly crushed to expose seeds)
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 whole chicken (giblets removed)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 lbs white or cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- pomegranate seeds (to garnish)
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Saute Mode. When the pan is hot, melt 1/2 cup of butter, then add onions all at once. Saute the onions for 5-10 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add garlic and spices and saute for another minute or two until spices are fragrant, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Press Keep Warm/Cancel on the Instant Pot. Add the chicken and water to the pot. If you've got the time, place the Instant Pot in Slow Cook mode, cover, and allow to cook for 2 hours (or up to 6 hours). If you're in a hurry, cook at low pressure for 25 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the broth and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and bones and coarsely shred the chicken. Strain the broth and set aside.
- Wipe out the Instant Pot with a paper towel. Return to saute mode and melt 1/4 cup of butter. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir fry for 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are nicely browned and any expressed liquid has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of butter to the Instant Pot and return to Saute mode. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring frequently, until the roux is uniform and lightly browned. Whisk in two cups of the stock, a couple of tablespoons at a time until slightly thickened. Add the remainder of the stock and cream.
- When the mixture starts to bubble return to Slow Cook mode. Stir in the shredded chicken and sauteed mushrooms, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
- Garnish with a fresh pomegranate seeds, about 2 tbsp per bowl.